Monday, April 7, 2008

Sunday Night Church?

I remember in the 1970's, as a new believer, going to church on Sunday mornings, and then going back to church in the evening. I loved the more informal fellowship, singing, and teaching. The leadership at PRBC has been promoting a Sunday evening gathering, which began last night. Over 120 high school, college age, and older... have committed themselves, and re-instituted Sunday evenings once again. The subject is "Don't Waste Your Life."

We divided the sanctuary room into ten small groups of 8-12 people, with a discussion leader at each table. I believe our time together was interesting and profitable.

Each Sunday night will begin with prayer, singing, and then a 6 - 10 minute video of images, and music (no voices), which will allow us to slow down a little. Each video will characterize the theme of the evenings study. This is certainly a different concept, especially in our quick paced, instant, get it done culture in which we live. When I first saw it, my inclination was to eliminate these videos and just cut to the chase...to go directly to the 8 -10 minute teaching of John Piper. I'm glad I didn't.

Next week the topic is the beauty of Christ, my joy. Let me close with a quote from John Piper.
"God being glorified and God being enjoyed are not separate categories. They relate to each other not like fruit and animals, but like fruit and apples."

Do your homework, and see you next Sunday morning and EVENING!

No comments: