Monday, April 21, 2008

Golfing for Jesus

Last Saturday I removed my checkbook, wrote a check to North County Christian School, and proceeded to play 18 holes of golf. It was their annual, Scramble, April Fools Golf Tournament. It was an opportunity to golf with three other men I had never golfed with before, and two of the men I hadn't known before Saturday. It really was "golfing for Jesus." The Athletic department raised several thousand dollars that day. The entry fee was a worthy cause, even if you didn't receive a golf round and lunch. How'd we do? Out of the 20 teams, we came in forth place. I've been golfing in this tournament for over 20 years now.
In the early days, it was known for the bad weather. We golfed in rain, lightning and thunder storms. One year as we were approaching the 9th green, it began to hail. As a matter of fact it was difficult to see our white golf balls on the green, because the green was covered with white hail. I'll never forget, as Barbara Clark stepped up to her ball, we were all laughing. She had about a 15 foot putt. She knew she had to hit it harder because of the hail. There it went, bouncing over the hail. There was no way she could make this putt. Just as it approached the hole it bounced up into the air and down into the cup. We still laugh and remember those days.
Golfing for Jesus? Yes! "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31).

2 comments:

Darren said...

My first round of golf (ever) came in that tournament. It was best ball (all 4 players playing from the previous best shot). We used one shot of mine all day...and it was a putt on that same 9th green...a 60 foot screamer that slammed off the back of the hole and bounced in...pure luck.

That day was not a bit of fun. I vowed that day I would never play golf again! (seriously)

Dave Rusco said...

Well, I'm glad you broke your vow. Although I don't like to lose, it was a great day when you finally beat me for the first time. It seems to be more often these days...I still don't like to lose.