Monday, September 8, 2008

Getting old is not for sissies

When we walked out of the building this time, we were crying. Donna's uncle Bob is 92, blind, can hardly hear, and can't walk. He's in an assisted care facility in Glendale, CA. Now add confusion, and dementia.

Donna and her sister are the only family he has.

I wheeled uncle Bob out to the patio. We talked and ate lunch. He's had no desire to eat, so Donna fed her uncle. He actually ate. We carried on a good conversation for the first couple hours. After lunch Donna left the table for a moment, and uncle Bob told me, "Dave, you married one great woman." "You're right uncle Bob, I married up."

I said, "Uncle Bob, the most important thing now, is where you are going to spend eternity." He broke in and asked me what hell is like. I told him what the Bible says, and finished with, "Bob, you don't want to go there." I once again explained the gospel to him. It's interesting, because you have to speak loudly for him to hear. Therefore, all the other people on the patio could easily hear the gospel also.

Shortly after this uncle Bob completely left us. He went to another place, another realm, driven by dementia. It must have been an awful place, because it was "so hard" to listen to him like that. He did not come back. We left...until next time. Getting old is not for sissies.

No comments: