Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Let me finish my sermon!

Time constraints prevented me from finishing my teaching Sunday morning on Fathers Day. Let me review...If you remember, I finished with the text from Mark 5:42. Jesus raised the twelve year old daughter of Jairus from death. Luke writes, 8:55 And her spirit returned, and she got up immediately; and He gave orders for something to be given her to eat. I finished by talking about our spirit. God has given every man, woman, and child an eternal spirit. It's the real you. And your spirit will live forever somewhere. Either eternal hell, or Heaven. How important it is that we all die as a believer in Jesus.

My sermon would have continued a little later with a question. Why do you think Paul devotes twice as much writing to the husbands obligations as to the wives? Husbands, you are the God appointed leader of your household, even though you and your wife are equals in God's eyes.
Scripture says,
1 Corinthians 7:3-4
3 Let the husband fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does;

Of course, this is referring to the marriage bed. How often have I heard this passage quoted without looking at the rest of verse 4. Here it is.

and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

The wife has authority over your body men. And you know what the topic is.


Men! Here's the key word for your wife...Romance

Women! Here's the key word for your husband...It's a three letter word that begins with the letter...well, you know.

I was going to tell a story about Darren and Jennifer Rusco. They just celebrated their wedding anniversary. While at the restaurant, they noticed another couple. They didn't know them, but knew they had been married for quite a while. Well, this other couple were sitting on the same side of the booth. They were talking, and laughing. The husband had his arm around his wife... hugging, talking...you get the picture. Well Jennifer and Darren were watching all this. Then Jennifer spoke across the table and asked Darren, "Honey, why don't you ever do that?" Darren replies, "Honey, I don't know that lady!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rusco, Rusco, Rusco.....
I like the romance part...are these comments for all the world to see? I guess I need to be very annonymous....d.

Darren said...

I will now start to call my wife "Honey,"...she'll like that.