Saturday, May 17, 2008

Memories

I can't believe it. I just celebrated my 59th birthday! What I'm going to say isn't wisdom, just logic. The older you get the more memories you get. Another chapter was added to one of my memories last night. Donna and I went to our grandsons school musical. It was great. After the musical we all went to McDonalds. As I was sitting there someone said to me, "Dave, five of your former basketball players are here tonight."
In my late 30's (early 40's?) I coached varsity boys basketball at North County Christian School. He was right. Out of the seven or eight players that year, five of them were once again together. This was a night that may never be duplicated again this side of heaven. Let me explain why.
Two of these young men married two of the Highschool girls who kept my scorebooks. And not only were these seven friends together last night, but also the parents, who are now grandparents. I remember sitting in many restaurants with these grandparents after our games, enjoying our fellowship, talking about the game that night.
These 5 young men, now in "their" 30's, are blessed with 17 little ones, running all over the place. They are now beginning to form their own memories. You can imagine...we took over Big Mac last night.
In closing, let me say something else. These five men are all following Jesus. Two of them are Pastor/teachers. One is a missionary, serving Christ in Africa. Two are leaders/teachers in the local church. Isn't that something? Thanks Lord for the memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not realize the significance of that event until you brought it up. It is incredible where God has brought us!